On a national level the Federation provides lots of opportunities for children to have fun with books, and:
- Organises, annually, The Children’s Book Award – The National Award based entirely on the votes of young readers!
- Promotes National Non-Fiction November, starting on the first Thursday every November – a month celebrating all that is brilliant about non fiction, showing that it’s not just fiction that can be read and enjoyed for pleasure.
- Promotes National Share-a-Story Month during May – a month linking events and activities across the country that celebrate the power of story.
- With the help of local Book Groups, holds a weekend Conference each Spring, together with various One-day Regional Conferences across the country.
- Maintains a Central Office to coordinate its membership and serve as a contact address.
- Publishes anthologies, book lists and other information leaflets.
- Circulates a Federation Newsletter.
- Gives support, encouragement and practical help to its groups, and promotes the establishment of new groups.
- Provides advice and information generally, especially (though not solely) through our blog.