If you want to support and encourage your own or other children in reading, if you want to learn more about children’s books or set up a family reading group, if you are a teacher or librarian who would like to share your passion and expertise about books with your local community, the Federation of Children’s Book Groups offers you the opportunity to do all of these.
If you join the Federation you will be able to
- Watch children’s faces light up when they meet their favourite author at one of our book group author events.
- Become part of the ‘most fun children’s book award event ever’.
- Enjoy the epiphany moment when a child finds a book that inspires them – whether it is a picture book, fiction, or non-fiction.
How do we do this?
The Federation is a national voluntary self-funded organisation whose aim is to promote enjoyment and interest in children’s books and reading and to encourage the availability of books for children of all ages, from first picture books to young adult. Our groups around the country, whose members include parents and carers, teachers, and librarians, along with our individual and professional members, all want to nurture a love of reading through the sharing of books with children. We have strong national links with children’s publishers, authors, illustrators, and all organisations who support our aim of encouraging children to enjoy, read and share books and stories. This allows members to:
- Bring top authors and illustrators to their town, schools, libraries, and local families.
- Participate in our Children’s Book Award and Annual Award Ceremony.
- Hold local events for families and for schools focused around our national initiatives: National Share-A-Story Month and National Non-Fiction November and other events such as World Book Day.
- Benefit from competitions, free gifts, books, and resources designed exclusively for Federation members.
- Hold events for adults including author dinners, one-day conferences and attend our Annual Conference
- Share books with children through book swaps, book donations and reading groups.
- Support local children’s charities, hospitals, hospices, and care homes to spread the reading and story-telling experience to every child.
- Receive free booklists for children from early years to young adult with lists of old favourites, new authors, and our annual Top 50 Pick of the Year.
- Receive our national newsletter and regular e-mailing updates with news about events in the children’s book world.
If you are inspired to be part of this and you would like to find your local Children’s Book Group click here. If you would like to start your own Children’s Book Group you can find out more about the process here. To find out how you can become involved as an Individual or Professional Member please click here. If you would like to support us through donation or sponsorship please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how you can do so. If you would like to receive a copy of our booklists please email email@example.com.